Friday, June 4, 2010

Nora The Explorer!


Well I am finally getting around to logging in. Since arriving at the Ardmore Hotel I have had such a time exploring North Dublin that I havent had a moment. Last Saturday Night I had such a great time singing and dancing in Premier Bar that I almost couldnt talk or walk on Sunday. Terrific band and night. However I did manage to make it for the Sunday Carvery- Roast Chicken with fab vegetables and my favourite Mash- extra gravy for me please chef!

Anyway on Monday I set off on the short walk to the new Glasnevin Museum, what a unique idea- a museum attached to the cemetary- dont think there is another one anywhere else in the world. The weather was lovely and walking over the hill towards Glasnevin Cemetary it is hard to imagine that there is over one million people buried there.

The museum itself lived up to expectation with City of the Dead being far more interesting than its gloomy title sounds. The entire exhibition is thought provoking and it is difficult not to feel insignificant when presented with many books toys and possessions belonging to people buried in the graveyard.

I enjoyed stories from the Grave Diggers- recorded years ago in Kavanaghs pub as well as a film about the history including the Body Snatchers..

Many famous people are buried in Glasnevin Cemetary including Maude Gonne, Luke Kelly and Christy Brown. I spent hours flicking through the touch screens absorbing the information. All in all a very enjoyable and unique experience.

By the time I walked back to the Ardmore Hotel I was shattered, just popped in for the one glass of guinness in Premier Bar and lo and behold there were a few of my buddies from Saturday Night, a friendlier bunch you couldnt meet with Jim holding court at the end of the bar reading out the most interesting parts of the paper!

This morning I have indulged with a delicious breakfast of Waffles, covered in Maple Syrup in Cream Restaurant so I am set up for the day. Ill update you again soon about my travels in North Dublin as soon as I can.

Take Care til then, Nora

No comments:

Post a Comment